I refuse to let a month go without a post, so I decided to go type that review I’ve been meaning to type as soon as I finished the game. A while back I wrote about a game called Time Travelers, which was kind of neat in its use of five different protagonists to advance the story, but ultimately fell short on plot and writing. Preceding it is 428, a sound novel from Spike Chunsoft that also uses the 5-protagonist system, but does it more skillfully. The emphasis on the “novel” part also means more in-depth character writing and a longer and more detailed story overall, as compared to Time Travelers’ movie-like approach.
Because I realized my backlog is not decreasing at all and yet there’s still so many games I want to own, I’m gonna make a to-play list so I know exactly what I will play next. C’mon, I can do this! Clear that backlog! I’ll go by the no buying until I clear 2 games rule, with the following exceptions that I will get:
1) Atelier Meruru (because Atelier games I will always get)
2) Pokemon Black/White 2 (because main Pokemon game I will always get)
3) Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (preordered already)
Here’s the stuff I’m playing right now:
1) Conception: Ore no Kodomo o Unde Kure!
2) Legend of Heroes III: The Song of the Ocean
3) Hoshizora no Memoria (eroge)
To play, console ver.
1) Valkyria Chronicles – I’ve played this on-and-off for like half a year. I actually like the gameplay a lot, but I prefer playing it in short bursts instead of sitting in front of the TV for 5 hours
2) Skies of Arcadia – started this for a few hours, then got distracted. I remember really wanting this game a while back and spending my first large sum of commission money on a used copy. I definitely should continue, for the sake of my commission money.
3) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – I need my dungeon crawling. I think I’ll save this for the summer break.
4) Xenosaga I & III – missing second game, but there’s always Youtube. I’ve had the first game for a long time, but never started because I didn’t have the rest of the trilogy. I got the 3rd game last Christmas in the US, so I should start on this.
5) Arc Rise Fantasia – what I shall play if I miraculously finish all of the above before the year ends.
To play, handheld ver.
1) Phantom Brave – started, got distracted, didn’t touch again. I think I lost a battle the last time I played and figured I needed grinding, but then got lazy and played something else.
2) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 – I need my demon fusing dose.
3) Riviera: The Promised Land – so that I don’t end up playing too many SRPG in a row and get burnt out, I need a standard turn-based game here.
4) Blazing Souls: Accelate – Bought on sale in USA, I need to play some more non-NIS SRPGs because variety is good. I don’t think I’ve touched an SRPG not made by NIS on the PSP yet…
5) Phantasy Star Portable – Action RPGs because I need to play some of those once in a while or else my reflexes will dull.
6) Final Fantasy II
7) Wild Arms XF
8) Valkyria Chronicles II
To play. eroge ver.
1) D.C. Da Capo
2) Saihate no Ima
…and that should keep me occupied for the rest of the year and even more. I won’t necessarily play in that order, but close enough. With eroge, I don’t really need a plan as I’ll just play whatever I feel like. Come to think of it, I’ll get a bunch of PC games when I go to China in the summer too…
Oh yeah, and next week is Anime North! I’ll hopefully get a lot of 3DS streetpasses. I’ll also be going to the visual novel panel, definitely. Then when I come back I’ll have to start working on my damn painful physics car project.
Ouch, I remember my impulse buying of old PS2 games last summer, and I’ve still got some on my backlog. Seeing as how I’ve gotta work on my visual novel, Jack Atlus figure, and current games, it’s impossible for me to beat them all by 2011.
Mana Khemia II (Started)
Wild Arms 4 (Started)
Xenosaga I (Pretty high on priority list aside from stuff I already started)
La Pucelle Tactics (Started)
Final Fantasy XII (Eh…I don’t really follow Final Fantasy)
Dragon Quest VIII (Same here, although I might just play it because I liked DQ IX)
.hack//Mutation (Not really interested in .hack, but I’ll play when I run out of games)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses (OTL I’m never gonna finish this, considering I’ll get Tag Force 5, 2011 AKA stuff that actually follow the rules and make sense)
Pokemon Colloseum (Started, although not really liking the system much)
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Will get around to it eventually)
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (The guys are do not want)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Low priority, something I probably won’t get around to playing)
Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Playing right now, 7/12 girls done)
Zettai Hero Project (Will pick up the pace after TM4)
Chrono Trigger (Not too much interest in Squeenix)
Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar (Yeah…I’ll get around to it…soon…)
PC Visual Novels:
Cross Channel (Playing right now)
Little Busters! (Partial patch, so I’ll play it later)
Da Capo (Gonna play soon)
Fate/Stay Night (I actually never finished it OTL)
G-Senjou no Maoh (Will ditch everything else to play this once the patch somes out)
Yeah…I’m actually running out of things to play on the DS and I don’t really feel like playing Chrono Trigger. My next game will probably be Ghost Trick, which I’ll complete pretty quickly since it isn’t an RPG. Radiant Historia and Championship 2011 will last me until Pokemon Black, which can last me the rest of the year if I really stretch it (still playing Pearl). PSP-wise, ZHP and Tag Force 5 will last me a long while. My next galge will most likely be The IDOLMASTER since I’ve got my eyes on that, unless Dream C Club comes out in Bargain Edition. I refuse to buy anything for the PS2 until I beat at least Mana Khemia II and Wild Arms 4, unless I see a copy of Digital Devil Saga or something. The stuff I have on Wii and Gamecube are last resort.
Seeing my backlog, I’m probably more suited to handheld gaming rather than consoles. I keep getting dragged around OTL