I just beat the main arc, starting up on future arc, and damn, this is the best console RPG I’ve played in…quite a while. I don’t even remember the last time I enjoyed a console RPG this much, unless I think back all the way to Persona 4. Then again, I don’t even play console games that much and that’s why I have a backlog of PS2 games that I’ve yet to beat. My only other experience with a Tales game other than watching Legendia on Youtube (I have no hope of acquiring previous-gen Tales games, since they’re mostly rare and expensive) and the fan translation of Tales of Innocence which I never beat because my DS has unresponsive shoulder buttons and I was waaay crappier at video games back then than I am now. If you gave me an Ys game back then, I probably would’ve ragequit at the first boss. Even Ys Seven. Either way, screw the past because Tales of Graces is amazing. Go play it.
There’s always stuff that I want, no matter what time it is and where I go.
1) Nora and the Time Studio (DS) – Atlus x Gust, using the artist of the Etrian Odyssey series. It definitely has the feel of an Atelier game from what I’ve seen, except you use time manipulation ainstead of alchemy. Collab between 2 awesome companies on the DS? Want.
2) Clock Zero (PSP) – Well, I never doubted Otomate when it comes to porting their otome games to PSP. I’ve only heard good things about it and I like the art style better than Kazuki Yone’s to be honest, so this is pretty high on my list. I don’t care if I’m playing as a loli in 6th grade, apprently she’s pretty manry.
3) Photo Kano (PSP) – A galge that uses 3D models like Konami’s Love Plus. It’s got more girls, including a glasses character and twintails!
4) Makai Kingdom (PSP) – As far as I’m concerned, a NIS burnout hasn’t happened yet and I won’t get tired of their games.
Honorable mention: Eiyuu Desnsetsu: Ao no Kiseki (PSP) – Well, this should be above all of them since it’s from my beloved Kiseki series, but I didn’t even get Zero no Kiseki yet and considering how the series is one of the most popular PC RPGs in China, there will definitely be a Chinese PC version sooner or later.
NA Games (not including stuff I already pre-ordered):
1) Atelier Totori (PS3) – Just finished Rorona and definitely want the next in the series. Want more
cute girls Sterk alchemy.
2) Fate/Extra (PSP) – Been interested since Japanese release, didn’t bother importing. According to Aksys it has the “Persona feel” and that’s a series I’m a fan of. I didn’t even get through Fate/Stay Night because that thing was long, but the last time I tried was several years ago. After going through more eroge, F/SN is probably not insanely long in comparison, but I never bothered trying again. Maybe I’ll attempt to read through it this summer.
3) Tales of Graces F (PS3) – It looks nice and I want to play a Tales game.
4) Hakuoki (PSP) – Not into Japanese history (or history of any kind other than ingame made up ones), and I look forward to Clock Zero more because I’m not a fan of the “everyone has black hair” color scheme in VNs. Nonetheless, someone (Aksys) has the balls to bring a clean visual novel targeted to girls to a continent where the PSP is pretty unpopular in the eyes of retailers and the majority of its owners are dudes anyways. Gotta support the genre.
Honorable mention: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC – Should be on the top of my list, but we don’t even have an estimated release period and not much news from XSeed. Also, I hereby disqualify the Kiseki games from my lists because I’ll be biased towards them for sure.